Gingivitis – Factors and Symptoms
It has been seen that gingivitis or the first stage of gum disease is one of the most common problems faced by people. You need to know that teeth and gums are made up of several connective tissues that support a healthy mouth. The part of the mouth that consists of the teeth and other supportive structures is known as the periodontium. On the other hand, the part consisting of gums and other smooth tissues is known as gingivae. It is to be noted that there is a small gap or pocket between the gums and teeth that are known as the sulcus. If not cleaned properly, these gaps or pockets can turn out to be the ideal place for the growth of infection-causing bacteria. Lastly, gum disease or gingivitis can be defined as a condition where your gums experience an abnormal inflammation due to the excessive growth of bacteria in the sulcus.
Being in the field of modern dentistry for quite some time, we often come across questions related to gingivitis. It is due to this reason that we choose to provide our readers with a blog that will cover all information about the topic. Therefore, if you have any queries about gum problems, do go through the sections below.
What Causes Gingivitis?
Are you unsure about the factors that contribute to the chances of a person suffering from gingivitis? We have provided the reasons for gingivitis in the pointers below.
- The growth of bacteria is one of the pivotal factors that lead to gingivitis or gum disease. Improper oral hygiene can cause the growth of bacteria and germs in your mouth. The plaque buildup in your mouth also creates an ideal condition for the growth of these bacteria and as a result, leads to gingivitis. Be careful to notice the first signs of gum disease.
- People often overuse mouthwash and think that it is the best way to fight against the infection-causing bacteria. But, they fail to realize that doing so can do more damage than good. This can ultimately result in your mouth being dry and kill both good and bad bacteria, leaving the mouth in a vulnerable state.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco can be another factor contributing to the gum problem or gingivitis. This exposes your teeth and gums to unpleasant chemicals that lessen the capability of gum tissue to repair on its own.
- Poor diet is another factor that increases the risk of suffering from gingivitis or gum disease. You need to know that a healthy diet is essential for a healthy mouth.
What are the Symptoms of Gingivitis?
As mentioned before, you need to be careful to notice the first signs of gingivitis. If you ever face the symptoms mentioned below, do not hesitate for a moment to get in touch with a dentist nearby.
Gingivitis can be easily cured by undergoing quality gum treatment at a reliable dental clinic and with the adoption of a few measures. So there is nothing to worry about in such situations. If you are looking for the best dentists in Spanaway, WA, contact Pacific NW Dental. We have excellent dental treatments to offer at affordable prices. Book your appointment today.
- Tender gums
- Reddish and swollen gums
- Bleeding of gums on a regular basis after brushing or flossing
- Suffering from unbearable pain in the gums
- Constant bad taste in the mouth